Motorcycle or Motorbike MOT tests
The MOT test applies to motorcycles, mopeds and scooters over 3 years old and the law requires that it must be carried out at a registered MOT testing centre on an annual basis.
Like a car MOT, the purpose of the test is to check that your motorbike or motorcycle is safe to be used on the road. If your bike passes the test, you will be issued with your MOT certificate which will then be required when you next purchase your Tax Disc, along with a valid certificate of insurance.
If your motorcycle fails the test you must not ride it on the road unless you're taking it to have the faults remedied or you are taking it to an arranged retest.
What kind of checks will they do?
- Lights - condition, operation, security, and correct colour of headlamp(s), rear lights, indicators and reflectors. Headlamp beam alignment.
- Steering and suspension - condition, security and operation
- Horn - correct operation and correct type
- Exhaust system - complete, secure, correct type and an acceptable noise level
- Side car - attachment, suspension, wheel bearings, wheel alignment, lights and tyres
- Wheel alignment - correct alignment of front and rear wheels
- Frame - free from cracks, damage, distortion or corrosion which is likely to affect the steering or brake function
- Wheels and tyres - wheel condition, tyre condition, size, type and tread depth
- Brakes - condition, operation and efficiency and brake controls
- General items - condition and security of final drive, footrests and seat
If you have had an accident that was not your fault, we can provide these services for you absolutely free because we claim all our costs back directly from the at-fault party's insurance company.
For more information please ring 0845 6768898 or use our online claim form.