Accident Repair Finder logo

Car accidents with uninsured drivers

It is estimated that there are more than 1.5 million uninsured drivers currently on UK roads. Statistically an uninsured driver is much more likely to be charged with drink-driving and other motoring offences than an insured driver. Unfortunately this means that the risk of having an accident with an uninsured driver is higher than you may think.

Fortunately in the UK we all have a degree of protection in the form of compensation for injuries or vehicle repairs from the Motor Insurers' Bureau. The Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) are a non-profit organisation set up by motor insurance industry to help compensate victims of uninsured or untraced 'hit and run' drivers.

In the UK every insured driver contributes approximately 30 per year as part of their insurance premium to the Motor Insurers Bureau. This fee enables them to operate a fund from which the innocent victims of road accidents with uninsured drivers can make a claim for car accident repairs or injuries sustained as a result of the accident.

There are specific conditions which have to be met in order for an MIB claim to be considered:-

  • An injury compensation claim must be made within 3 years of the accident occurring

  • A claim for vehicle damage repairs must be made within 6 years of the accident occurring

  • Expenses must be kept to a minimum

  • For an injury claim the accident must be reported to the police within 14 days of the accident occurring

  • For an accident damage/repair claim the accident must be reported to the police within 5 days of the accident occurring

Information you will need for an MIB claim

It is always important to collect as much information as possible following any road accident. The more information you can provide, the easier the claims process will be. Ideally the information you provide should include the following:-

  • Names, addresses and contact details of everyone involved in the accident, including witnesses details.

  • The registration numbers, make, model and colour of the vehicles involved

  • Any photographs or videos of the accident scene showing skid marks etc. and damage to vehicles

  • Any information regarding weather conditions, road markings and road signs

  • Receipts for expenses or repair estimates

  • Your own car insurance details and documentation

  • A copy of the Police accident report if possible

For further free information and advice call us on 0845 6768898 and we will be happy to help.
About us
Questions & Answers

Home   |   Terms & Conditions   |   Contact us

Can’t find a Crash Repair Centre?

Simply call us on 0845 676 8898


Find a Crash Repair Centre for all your repairs, bodywork and paint jobs...

Become an approved accident repair centre
car accident button
motorbike accident button
Injury information button
bodywork repairs button